Looking for a way to get in more veggies with breakfast? Look no further. This hearty oatmeal has all the flavors of carrot cake and is chock full of vitamins and fiber. Don’t forget the yogurt! It adds protein and also tastes just like traditional carrot cake frosting when stirred in just before eating.
Carrot Cake Steel Cut Oats
- 1 cup uncooked steel cut oats
- 1 cup grated carrots (approximately 2 medium-large carrots)
- 1 medium apples, grated or diced small
- ½ cup dark raisins
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- ¼ teaspoon salt optional to taste
- Stevia,stevia/ erythritol blend, or Monk fruit sweetener to taste (optional)
- 1 6-ounce container plain Greek yogurt Fage 2% works best
- 2 tablespoons Swerve brown sugar substitute optional
- Combine oats and 4 cups water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, apple, raisins, vanilla, cinnamon, and allspice. Stir well. Continue to simmer an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Stir in walnuts and avocado oil. Sweeten to taste with stevia, stevia/erythritol blend, monk fruit, or other natural sugar-free sweetener of choice if desired.
- Divide among 4 bowls. Divide Greek yogurt 4 ways and stir into cooked oats just before serving. Top each bowl with ½ tablespoon Swerve brown sugar substitute if desired.