This hearty, savory stew is the perfect dinner as the evenings start getting cooler.
Butternut squash is rich in several anti-inflammatory antioxidants including vitamin C, vitamin E, and the carotenoids – alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin.
Split peas are high in fiber, antioxidants, and micronutrients which all reduce systemic inflammation. They also add protein to this dish.
Yellow Split Pea and Butternut Squash Stew
The perfect autumn stew with with rich, bold flavors. The combination of ingredients give this stew several anti-inflammatory properties and also lends a nice balance of sweet and savory flavors. Perfect served over brown rice or cauliflower rice.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- couple dashes salt
- 3 gloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes (equivalent to the yield from a 2lb squash)
- 1 bunch collard greens, chopped
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 lime, sliced for serving
- cooked brown rice, cauliflower rice, or a combination for serving
- In a large pot over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion and red bell pepper, sprinkle with a small amount of salt and cook for about 3-4 minutes, until onions are soft and translucent. Add the garlic, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, and cayenne pepper. Stir together and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and split yellow peas. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add butternut squash and collard greens. stir, then cover and continue to cook for another 15 minutes, until butternut squash is tender. Add coconut milk and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Optional step: use immersion blender or potato masher to lightly mash some of the squash and peas. This will add some thickness to the stew.
- Serve over brown rice or cauliflower rice with lime slices on top. The lime juice adds great depth to the flavor.
For complete nutrition information or to add to your MyFitnessPal diary visit here: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/view/159592189022125